Alfred Hitchock Came to St. Teresa's Church
March 22, 2012 by Judy Vaughn
Alfred Hitchcock came to Bodega with a flock of Hollywood extras for the 1963 movie "The Birds." In one of the film's most suspenseful moments, a crowd of crows silently congregated.
Some were tame, well trained. Some were wild, just passing by. And a few were mechanical stand-ins. One by one, then two by two and more, they landed menacingly on the Jungle Jim behind the old Potter schoolhouse as Tippi Hedren sat unaware of their presence. And suddenly, with great cinematic drama and special effects, the sky appeared to be full of birds chasing Hedren and terrified schoolchildren down the road past St. Teresa of Avila church.
The birds have come and gone, but tourists still visit to see where it all happened. What they find -- situated on land once lived on by Miwok and Pomo Indians -- is that St. Teresa's is a serenely quiet place, the oldest church in continuous use in Sonoma County and a popular wedding site.
"To have courage for whatever comes in life -- everything lies in that."
Saint Teresa of Avila (1515-1582)